|This is the Conservative Philosophy in Action|
From today's USA Today:
President Bush wants to pay for his plan to send 8,200 more U.S. troops to Iraq and Afghanistan by cutting money for agriculture, education and other programs, budget records show.
Take a step back from your disgust with this president and this administration.
The problem behind the problem isn't failed policies and vapid leadership. The problem is a bankrupt philosophy that about half of the American public has bought into.
The problem is Conservatism. A substantial number of Americans see very little role for government other than national defense(or offense). It can be summed up--and often is-- by Lincoln's adage "The government which governs best is the government that governs least". In the 19th century, this philosphy might have made sense, but in an increasingly interconnected world, citizens need big government to address big problems and make big strides in terms of national priorites. Your little municipal curbside recycling program may assuage your conscience, but it isn't going to do jack about global warming in and of itself.
We, the people, are the government to extent that we claim our authority and demand accountability. When conservatives talk about limiting the role and influence of the government, they're talking about your role and influence. You should take that personally.
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- Even he knew better.The Libby VerdictGuilty, Guilt...
- The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Somebody t...
- Ahmed's Fields In Ahmed's fields the poppies bloo...
- Joke of the Day What does it say about the peop...
- Time For a Long Hard Look In the Mirror Those who...
- Frankenstein FactoryFar from reducing terrorism an...
- Maybe We Deserve It ...Eric Alterman via Bartop: ...
- Gen. Lamar Odom vs. Hugh Hewitt A must read post ...
- Congressman Patrick Murphy Today on the Floor: vi...