Read How Bush Helped Osama Recruit Here

Lies That Led To War: Read The WMD B.S. Here

Under Construction

construction

construction ...

text

text

Photo...

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Steve is in the woods until Saturday. He's given me (Rich Lindstrom) the keys to the car until then. I hope I don't smash it up.

My first item is not political, but musical. As some of you may know, Wilco just came out with a new album, to widespread praise. Jeff Tweedy has become a visionary, able stitch together sheets of sonic innovation (I'd link to a Salon article about this if I understood how to do it, but trust me or go look at it yourself)into records of wrenching beauty. This album is supposed to be even better than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, their previous, and instantly legendary, effort. Now, I think Wilco is really good; sometimes they've been nearly brilliant. I must admit, however, that I found Yankee Hotel Foxtrot rather boring, too atmospheric, and more about making a set of sounds and moods than about making great music. I guess I just wasn't bright enough to get it. This was not the first time, however, that a record which garnered great critical acclaim did very little for me. I've never understood why people think Pet Sounds can change your life, for example, and I like Milestones better than A Love Supreme. I therefore have a two part question for people out there: 1) Why is Pet Sounds such a great record (please answer this question without using the words "groundbreaking," "experimental," or "visionary")?; and 2) What albums do you loathe that you are supposed to like (or what albums do you love that you'd rather not admit to liking)? Any refrences to Steve Perry and Journey will get extra credit.

Comments on ""

 

post a comment
|
Hit Counter
IZOD

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?