|Juan Cole on Fallujah
The US military seems strangely unaware of the realities of insurgencies. It seems to think there are a limited number of "bad guys," who can all be killed or captured. The possibility that virtually all able-bodied men in Fallujah supported the insurgency, and that many are weekend warriors, does not seem to occur to them. In fact, as Mao noted, guerrillas swim in a sea of supportive civilians. The US military slides suggest that now that the bad guys have been taken care of, the civilians can be won over. That this outcome is highly unlikely does not seem to occur to them.
IRAQ = I Remember Another Quagmire
Read Juan Cole:
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- Equatorial Guinea Watch: It's The Oil, Stupid S...
- Why John Ashcroft Really Resigned Now you k...
- A Tale of Two Elections Two words for Canonfire...
- Six Assists to the Republican Congress and the Pre...
- No, This Isn't Photoshopped Link to origina...
- How I'm Going To Save The World From A Mad Dictato...
- We Don't Need No Regulation The Bush Administr...
- Mr. Crediblity Does It Again Secretary of Sta...
- Condi: An Improvement Over Powell That's my pre...