|A Tale of Two Elections
Two words for Canonfire's commentary on the Bush response to the Ukrainian election: Nailed It.
Should we trust the Ukrainian exit polls? Colin "the compromised" Powell has announced that the United States does not accept as legitimate the recent vote in the Ukraine, citing "credible reports of fraud and abuse." Of course, the only real evidence of fraud comes from the exit poll disparities.
Bush apologists who have touted the party line -- "exit polls are not accurate" -- suddenly turn mum when the subject switches to foreign elections.
Let's view the events in the Ukraine in Morris-vision. What if the exits, not the final tallies, are at fault?
The exits favored pro-Western opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko. So did the Bush administration. So who paid for this exit poll information? According to the Los Angeles Times, the poll showing the widest Yushchenko lead was "financed in part by the U.S. Embassy and other Western diplomatic missions."
Freeze frame; reverse the image. What would most Americans say about the legitimacy of an exit poll financed by the Ukrainian embassy and other former Soviet republics? The answer is easy to guess.
Read The Cannonfire Blog:
If American journalists were half as courageous as their Ukrainian counterparts, the exit polling in the United States would still be an issue.
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- Six Assists to the Republican Congress and the Pre...
- No, This Isn't Photoshopped Link to origina...
- How I'm Going To Save The World From A Mad Dictato...
- We Don't Need No Regulation The Bush Administr...
- Mr. Crediblity Does It Again Secretary of Sta...
- Condi: An Improvement Over Powell That's my pre...
- On Romanticizing The Military Pierre Tristam of...
- The Toronto Star: Should Bush Be Thrown In A Canad...