|On Romanticizing The Military
Pierre Tristam of the Daytona Beach News had an interesting editorial today in which he takes to task the conventional wisdom that proclaims soldiers are the fount of our individual liberties
"A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive, will not long be safe companions to liberty," James Madison wrote.
Soldiers are as much instruments of repression as of protection, depending on how they're used, and by whom. Romanticizing them doesn't honor them. It makes it easier to misuse them, as they are so effectively being misused in the folly in Iraq, while drowning reason and dissent in the thumbs-up submission of mass rallies.
Read The Full Article Here
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- The Toronto Star: Should Bush Be Thrown In A Canad...
- I Support The Conscientious Objectors Every war...
- Bringing Home The Bacon At The CIA Bush's CIA d...
- What About Bob? The year was 1963, and a young ...
- The Sticker On The Back Of Your Hummer Proclaim...
- Kerry May Have Conceded, But I Haven't The evid...
- How To Avoid Mind Control Let's face it. W...
- Welcome To Dreamland There is a famous postmode...
- Remember When... "VICE PRES. CHENEY: Well, I ...
- The Incomparable Molly Ivins Speaks "Some peopl...