|Rummy's Pep Talk to the Troops
Army Spc. Thomas Wilson of the 278th Regimental Combat Team, which is made up mainly of citizen soldiers of the Tennessee Army National Guard, asked Rumsfeld in a question-and-answer session why vehicle armor is still in short supply, nearly two years after the war started.
"Why do we soldiers have to dig through local landfills for pieces of scrap metal and compromised ballistic glass to uparmor our vehicles?" Wilson asked. A big cheer arose from the approximately 2,300 soldiers in the cavernous hangar who assembled to see and hear the secretary of defense.
Rumsfeld hesitated and asked Wilson to repeat his question.
"We do not have proper armored vehicles to carry with us north," Wilson said after asking again.
Rumsfeld replied that, "You go to war with the Army you have," not the one you might want...
And, the defense chief added, armor is not always a savior in the kind of combat U.S. troops face in Iraq, where the insurgents' weapon of choice is the roadside bomb, or improvised explosive device that has killed and maimed hundreds, if not thousands, of American troops since the summer of 2003.
"You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up," Rumsfeld said.
What an inspiration Rumsfeld must be to the brave men about to redeploy to Iraq! Don't worry about the armour, boys. It's not like it's going to defend you against the weapons of the insurgents. Have a great time fighting for Bush! Gotta go...Time to get that Christmas shopping out of the way!
Just what would it take to get him fired, anyway?
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- The Really, Really, Ridiculously Good News From Ir...
- Why? Today's Globe and Mail reports: The ...
- Top Five Military Lies Australian Disinformatio...
- We Heart Torture More than 2,200 military veter...
- Pyrric Victory THE Pentagon has admitted that t...
- Flagrant Omissions Now that Tommy Thompson has ...
- Buy Nothing Christmas The brilliant web provaca...
- Which Christianity Do You Believe In? Christian...
- My Abstinence-Only Program for Teens One of Pre...
- Huck Gutman: Packaging the Violence In toda...