Accountability? You've Gotta Be Kidding
Yale, Bush's alma mater, released a new poll on Americans and the environment. The results were predictable. An overwhelming majority believe we're in bad shape when it comes to air and water quality, and an overwhelming majority wants the government to do something about it.
...And the public wants action as well as talk. Eighty-four percent believe the United States should enact stricter emissions and pollution standards for business and industry. This reflects substantial majorities of Democrats (92%), Independents (90%) and Republicans (68%).
What is the Bush response to this overwhelming mandate? Increase emissions, weaken environmental standards, ask politely for polluters to police themselves, ignore global warming, equivocate environmentalism with terrorism, and now, ignore the whistleblowers...
MORE THAN A THOUSAND WHISTLEBLOWER CASES DUMPED — Special Counsel Dismisses Hundreds of Disclosures and Complaints in Past Year
Washington, DC — The U.S. Special Counsel has dismissed more than 1,000 whistleblower cases in the past year, according to a letter from the Bush-appointed Special Counsel released today by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER). The Special Counsel appears to have taken action in very few, if any, of these cases and has yet to represent a single whistleblower in an employment case.
Accountability? Responsiveness to the concerns of citizens? From this administration? Forget about it.
The environment is one of many issues that the Republicans are weak on. Democrats should be screaming about this at the top of our lungs every damn day. It can make a difference in the 2006 elections if we stand up and fight rather than piss and moan--the democratic default as of late.
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- Beneath the Fold Here's what Bloomberg's news s...
- An Unlikely Champion For Ohio Aside from MSNBC's ...
- The Problem With One-Party Government ...is tha...
- Incredibly Funny, Incredibly Thought-Provoking Bi...
- Jesus Christ: Worst Leader Ever Character assassi...
- Scandal, Republican Style This one has everythi...
- Accountability on Iraq In 1941, as the United St...
- The Wrath of Khan An investigation by Pakistan's ...
- Back in Iraq (To the tune of "Back in Black" by ...