|Homeland Security Department Update
The good news first: We've found the WEAPONS of MASS DESTRUCTION
The bad news: They're in Virginia, they're unprotected, and they're underfunded.
In a related development, the National Guard has begun withdrawing troops from security duty at the site, ending a mission prompted by the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
The Guard also is withdrawing from Indiana's Newport Chemical Depot and six other chemical weapons storage sites.
The Pentagon has proposed cutting funding for the 15,500-acre depot in Kentucky to about $15million next year, from $105million.
Critics said the military is breaking its promises and exposing communities to many more years of potential danger.
Weapons stored at the depot include the nerve gas sarin and the toxic liquid VX.
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- Liberal Values Happy MLK Day. Here's to the ho...
- Who's Next? According to Seymour Hersch in ...
- How the World Sees The United States of America: ...
- Two Minutes Hate from the broadway production of...
- IMPORTANT! IMPORTANT! SOCIALLY AWKWARD WEALTHY YOU...
- Sex Bombs Away! "Making Love" and "Making War" ...
- Taking on Diplomad Michael Roston at Looking Fo...
- A Question of Proportion: Armstrong Williams vs. ...
- Children Praying To A Republican God The Presid...
- How Do You Sleep At Night? "Diplomad" is a blog...