Dana Milbank writes on the latest Yellow Elephant Stampede in the Star Tribune:
In his 37 years in the military, John Murtha won two Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star with a Combat "V" and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry.
As a Democratic congressman from Pennsylvania for the past 31 years, he has been a fierce hawk, championing conflicts in Central America and the Persian Gulf.
On Thursday, he was called a coward.
After Murtha stunned the Capitol with a news conference calling for a pullout from Iraq because our "troops have done all they can," the denunciations came quickly and furiously.
House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., accused Murtha of delivering "the highest insult" to the troops. "We must not cower," Hastert told the former Marine.
Majority Leader Roy Blunt, R-Mo., told Murtha that his views "only embolden our enemies" and lamented that "Democrats undermine our troops in Iraq from the security of their Washington, D.C., offices."
Rep. J.D. Hayworth, R-Ariz., told the 73-year-old Murtha that "the American people are made of sterner stuff." And Rep. John Carter, R-Texas, said the likes of Murtha want to take "the cowardly way out."
Murtha, whose brand of hawkishness has never been qualified by the word "chicken," was expecting the attacks: "I like guys who've never been there that criticize us who've been there. I like that."
Carter, Hastert, Blunt and Hayworth have no military service record.
Imagine that. Four Republican congressmen in favour of the war who never served themselves. What are the odds?
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- Dick Cheney: Lying Repeatedly, Often, and Irrefu...
- Stevodamus: Prophecy Confirmed Bush in his own ...
- Behold! The Mighty Stevodamus Will Now Predict The...
- Remember...We're The Good Guys Just keep repeatin...
- Team America World Police: Torture Edition "We do...
- Dee DePass, Corporate Kiss-Ass Reporter for the Mi...
- I Heart Huffington If you haven't checked out The...
- Equatorial Guinea Watch: The New Scramble For Afri...
- Charging Saddam Hussein With Tax Evasion Five ind...
- Wait and See: The Indictment Gold Standard Every ...