It could all be over tomorrow night. Consider this letter from the trenches in Florida as recorded on Josh Marshall's Talking Points Memo:
...My job is to get people to the polls and, more importantly, to keep them there. Because they’re crazily jammed. Crazily. No one expected this turnout. For me, it’s been a deeply humbling, deeply gratifying experience. At today’s early vote in the College Hill district of East Tampa -- a heavily democratic, 90% African American community — we had 879 voters wait an average of five hours to cast their vote. People were there until four hours after they closed (as long as they’re in line by 5, they can vote).
Here’s what was so moving:
We hardly lost anyone. People stood outside for an hour, in the blazing sun, then inside for another four hours as the line snaked around the library, slowly inching forward. It made Disneyland look like speed-walking. Some waited 6 hours. To cast one vote. And EVERYBODY felt that it was crucial, that their vote was important, and that they were important...The best of all was an 80 year old African American man who said to me: “When I first started I wasn’t even allowed to vote. Then, when I did, they was trying to intimidate me. But now I see all these folks here to make sure that my vote counts. This is the first time in my life that I feel like when I cast my vote it’s actually gonna be heard.”
To see people coming out — elderly, disabled, blind, poor; people who have to hitch rides, take buses, etc — and then staying in line for hours and hours and hours... Well, it’s humbling. And it’s awesome. And it’s kind of beautiful.
Sometimes you forget what America is.
I think there’s hope.
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- Keeping Track of Voting Irregularities eRiposte...
- Powerline Blog: Destroying Careers For Partisan Ga...
- Remember The Polls Last Time? The Angry Liberal...
- If You're Looking For "Where Did The Explosives Co...
- The Damning Indictment, Twice Confirmed The Pre...
- Lists of Prominent Moderate Republican Defectors ...
- Where did the al QaQaa Explosives Come From? Th...
- Bride of Frankenberry As a left-of center blogg...
- More On The El QuaQa '300 Tons of Missing Weapons'...
- How To Know When Drudge Is Lying Matt Drudge, a...