|The 52 Warnings The Bush Administration Doesn't Want You To Know About
In the months before the Sept. 11 attacks, federal aviation officials reviewed dozens of intelligence reports that warned about Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda, some of which specifically discussed airline hijackings and suicide operations, according to a previously undisclosed report from the 9/11 commission.
The report discloses that the Federal Aviation Administration, despite being focused on risks of hijackings overseas, warned airports in the spring of 2001 that if "the intent of the hijacker is not to exchange hostages for prisoners, but to commit suicide in a spectacular explosion, a domestic hijacking would probably be preferable."
The Bush administration has blocked the public release of the full, classified version of the report for more than five months, officials said, much to the frustration of former commission members who say it provides a critical understanding of the failures of the civil aviation system. The administration provided both the classified report and a declassified, 120-page version to the National Archives two weeks ago and, even with heavy redactions in some areas, the declassified version provides the firmest evidence to date about the warnings that aviation officials received concerning the threat of an attack on airliners and the failure to take steps to deter it.
Among other things, the report says that leaders of the F.A.A. received 52 intelligence reports from their security branch that mentioned Mr. bin Laden or Al Qaeda from April to Sept. 10, 2001. That represented half of all the intelligence summaries in that time.
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- Left Wing Media Bias, R.I.P. Armstrong Williams...
- Destroy The Man, Ignore The Issue This was the ...
- Bush's "No Child's Behind Left" Act What do...
- Anectdotal Evidence in Iraq Since the war began...
- Andrew McCarthy's Vacuous Pro-Torture Apologetics ...
- Gonzales: Too Forgetful To Be Attorney General ...
- The Record on Veterans In the State of the ...
- This Site is a Michael Jackson-Free Zone From...
- Powerline's Mark Dayton Destruction Campaign ...
- Down With Torture Guy Please take the time to c...