|Andrew Sullivan Deserts From The Ranks of Pro-Torture Republicans
Not only does conservative commentator Sullivan criticize the pro-torture policies of the Administration, he also calls the president's statements on torture a LIE. This may very well be the most hopeful news story I've read all year. I'd like to believe that most republicans, if they were knowledgeable on the subject, would feel the same way.
LIE OF THE WEEK: "Torture is never acceptable, nor do we hand over people to countries that do torture." - president Bush, in a simple lie. Jane Kramer has more details on what this administration is doing to terror suspects - handing them over to be tortured by regimes this president then calls on to democratize! The most chilling quote in the piece comes from John Yoo, the man who helped end the United States' prohibition on torture:
[Yoo] went on to suggest that President Bush’s victory in the 2004 election, along with the relatively mild challenge to Gonzales mounted by the Democrats in Congress, was "proof that the debate is over." He said, "The issue is dying out. The public has had its referendum."
Ah, the accountability moment. I had no idea that a vote for Bush was a vote for torture. But now we know, don't we? According to Yoo, the president has the constitutional right to over-rule all laws and treaties against torture and the only remedy is impeachment.
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- The 52 Warnings The Bush Administration Doesn't Wa...
- Left Wing Media Bias, R.I.P. Armstrong Williams...
- Destroy The Man, Ignore The Issue This was the ...
- Bush's "No Child's Behind Left" Act What do...
- Anectdotal Evidence in Iraq Since the war began...
- Andrew McCarthy's Vacuous Pro-Torture Apologetics ...
- Gonzales: Too Forgetful To Be Attorney General ...
- The Record on Veterans In the State of the ...
- This Site is a Michael Jackson-Free Zone From...
- Powerline's Mark Dayton Destruction Campaign ...