|Bin Laden and The Neoconservatives Want the Same Thing
Today, Al Jezeera released the full text of Bin Laden's tape. What the translation reveals is that President Bush is doing exactly what Bin Laden wants.
"We are continuing this policy in bleeding America to the point of bankruptcy. Allah willing, and nothing is too great for Allah," bin Laden said in the transcript.
He said the mujahedeen fighters did the same thing to the Soviet Union in Afghanistan in the 1980s, "using guerrilla warfare and the war of attrition to fight tyrannical superpowers."
"We, alongside the mujahedeen, bled Russia for 10 years until it went bankrupt and was forced to withdraw in defeat," bin Laden said.
The Neoconservatives, for many years, have wanted to bleed the treasury dry as well. Neoconservative Guru Grover Nordquist is famous for remarking that the objective of neoconservatives is to "shrink the government down to a size where it can be drowned in a bathtub". As Tom Delay claimed today, "Time to start thinking beyond just growing the economy, and about fundamentally strengthening it by ridding our economy of the overtaxation, overregulation and overlitigation that has hamstrung it for decades." They simply believe that "the government that governs best is the government which governs least".
In the next few years, you can expect that many social programs will be cut. The rationale will be that "we simply don't have the money". The reason we won't have the money is because of the Iraq war tab and tax cuts.
This may be cause for Tom Delay and Bin Laden to celebrate, but for the rest of us, them's fighin' words. Chin up.
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- Let's Make Every Vote Count! Every registered v...
- Hope It could all be over tomorrow night. Cons...
- Keeping Track of Voting Irregularities eRiposte...
- Powerline Blog: Destroying Careers For Partisan Ga...
- Remember The Polls Last Time? The Angry Liberal...
- If You're Looking For "Where Did The Explosives Co...
- The Damning Indictment, Twice Confirmed The Pre...
- Lists of Prominent Moderate Republican Defectors ...
- Where did the al QaQaa Explosives Come From? Th...
- Bride of Frankenberry As a left-of center blogg...