|The Congo Solution In Iraq|
Officially, the Bush Administration is idealistic about its mission in Iraq. Its long term vision, as stated in the National Strategy for Victory in Iraq is to continue the occupation until Iraq "....is peaceful, united, stable, and secure, well integrated into the international community, and a full partner in the global war on terrorism".
Perhaps it's time to question the basic assumption that a free, secure Iraq is actually in the best interests of President Bush's most powerful supporters...Do they have a vested interest in creating chaos, rather than eliminating it?
Based upon the tremendous success of U.S. multinationals operating in failed states like Liberia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Equatorial Guinea, there is significant incentive on the part of the oil industry to keep Iraq unstable.
Here are some of the advantages of operating in a failed state for multinationals:
a. no taxes
b. no human rights issues
c. no environmental or worker safety regulations
d. no controlling legal authority to monitor transactions
e. no shortage of mercenaries willing to provide security for your business.
In Africa, companies like Bridgestone/Firestone have been making billions while operating in a regulation-free, low wage paradise. In the Congo, companies like Barrick Gold operate under the secure canopy provided by MPRI, America's most powerful mercenary organization.
The Congo solution, a form of neocolonialism, is taking shape in Iraq. Those who are making billions from the chaos don't want it to stop.
News And Commentary
- Media Matters for America
- The Guardian
- Goderich Signal Star
- The Strib
- The Toronto Star
- The Poutine Diaries
- 917 Press
- Manufactured Environments
- Journal of Genki
- Rick and Heather
- Jason Coleman
- Paperback Writers
Noteworthy & Quoteworthy:
- Quote of the Day: Some Christians seem to me incl...
- The Ask Dr. Torture Show Dr. John Yoo: Welcome...
- The Representative From California Has The Floor ...
- Lie of the Day The number of countries particip...
- The CIA Torture Diaries From Der Spiegel: But th...
- Keep It Coming, Dick! So Mr. Vice President is go...
- Orwellian Organization of the Day The Internatio...
- Coward? Dana Milbank writes on the latest Yello...
- Dick Cheney: Lying Repeatedly, Often, and Irrefu...
- Stevodamus: Prophecy Confirmed Bush in his own ...